The causes of Migraines are many and varied. And I will list them down. But when in the throes of one, you really don’t have the capacity to analyse your thoughts or emotions so this post is mostly about the non-medicinal alternates for curing Migraines.
Different things work for me so I go with what feels right at that point in time. Sometimes I go through the entire list and end up doing 2 or 3 different things. Sometimes none of this works and I just do some OTC drugs 🙂
One thing is for sure – if you catch the migraine at the onset, it is easiest to get rid of. Here is the list of cures that work for me, in order of efficacy.
1. Breathing: Usually a headache or migraine is due to the lack of oxygen in the brain. Especially when stressed, the first thing that happens to us is that our breathing gets compromised. When you have a headache just test your breath – most likely one of your nostrils will be blocked. Just gulping in huge amounts of fresh air can be a simple cure. Just breathe in as deeply as you can and breathe out as much as you can. Usually an 8 breath cycle works. If not, continue for another 8 till it works.
The other breathing exercise is anulom vilom or the alternate nostril breath, where you block off one nostril and breathe in through the other and then alternate. Please check this link (http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Pranayam) to do this the right way.
2. Bathing: A hot shower can also help clear a nasal passage, making it easier to breathe and therefore reducing the headache. A shower also clears the crown chakra and if the migraine is because of a blocked crown then a salt shower can help even better.
3. Crystals: It’s just about finding the right one – the Lapis lazuli works for me, as does the smokey quartz. The black tourmaline also works with all aches and pains. A friend of mine swears by the amethyst. Placement is usually on the forehead or the point of pain. If working with two crystals, I put one on the head and the second under the tailbone. Basic principle is to choose the one you are attracted to.
5. Follow the pain: my Reiki teacher had taught me this one and it’s amazing how this works when done correctly. Basically you pay attention to the pain and try and follow it to the point of origin. Eg. if the pain is deep in the eye (mine is mostly there), you follow it from the eye to deep within your skull, till you come to the point of origin. The second you touch the origin of the pain it disappears. The caveat with this is a lot of times you fall asleep just before you get to that point. Nonetheless, the little nap also helps.
6. Awareness: check out the reason for the migraine, the metaphysical reason that is. Migraines are mostly about conflicted thinking, so if you know what you are conflicted about just think it through. Or it’s guilt – a lot of times related to not doing something. Both Louise Hay and Lise Bourbeau have these in detail.
The one they don’t mention is the crown chakra pressure or a negative energy around you, which you can feel on the top of your head or surrounding the head. And people will say things about psychic attacks and energy vampires but it is mostly your own energy or emotion that you are unable to release. Here a simple salt bath or clearance with sage or the mantra ‘ek onkar, satnam’ really works. I actually do all three – burn sage incense in the bath, chant and have a salt shower.